Invalid Hostname

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Invalid Hostname
From: Michael Jaedike <mjaedike@VENATORGROUP.COM>
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2000 12:56:02 -0500
Environment: Netview for Unix 5.1.2, AIX 4.3 running on IBM SP2.

Hello everyone.

I'm working on our test box with version 5.1.2. I'm using the seed file to
discover specific
nodes. I've been successful up until now.
I placed a single entry in the seed file to discover one of our notes servers. I
already have
5 discovered so far. The original 5 were placed on the map with no problem.

For this one I received messages in the Control Desk that said a "Node Added",
"Interface....Added",
"System Name Changed", and finally "Node Up". However, no symbol was placed on
the map.
I opened the card for "Node Up" and clicked on "Highlight" to see if it had been
placed where I
didn't notice it. A "Event Information" window popped up that said

                     vianss01.woolworth.com isnot a valid host name!

ovtopodump vianss01 showed an entry.
ovobjprint -s vianss01 replied with  ********** NO SUCH OBJECT ID **********

Has anyone run into this before ? If so, what did you do to correct this ?
Any help is always appreciated.

Michael Jaedike IT&S
Venator Group
e-mail: mjaedike@venatorgroup.com