Re: NetView over XWindows?

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: NetView over XWindows?
From: James Shanks <James_Shanks@TIVOLI.COM>
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2000 15:31:58 -0500
It's an anomaly only because you know what really happened to the HSRP address.
Your read-only map cannot move the icon to where it belongs.  The old one is not
going to change on the r-o map.  When the refresh occurs that icon (which went
red initially) is removed and new one added that is green.  Moving the icon
violates the read-only rules (don't change the position of anything on the map).
This is the same deal as having a collection based upon status -- the objects in
it may change color but they won't move in or out of it until a refresh.  Those
are the limitations of a r-o map. But true status changes, mere color changes,
work.   This case with HSRP is not one of those so far as NetView is concerned.

I am not trying to be semantic here.  If you want to call this a case where
status does not propagate, then OK, but it is not what we mean when we say that
status will propagate to the read-only map automatically without a refresh.  I
want to separte the case like this one, from the other ones, because if you have
a problem with just color, that is not normal and needs investigation.   This
case is normal, even though undersirable, but without a major re-write to alter
the way maps work, it cannot be fixed.  It is a design limitation going back to
H-P days.

James Shanks
Tivoli (NetView for UNIX) L3 Support

"Joel A. Gerber" <joel.gerber@USAA.COM> on 02/03/2000 03:16:03 PM