Re: snmpdx agent on Solaris 7 - SOLUTION

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: snmpdx agent on Solaris 7 - SOLUTION
From: Mark van Kerkwyk <kerkwyk@COMTECH.COM.AU>
Date: Sat, 5 Feb 2000 12:48:26 +1000
ok, firstly you need to understand that on Solaris 7 the mibiisa agent starts in
readonly mode by default. Why, I don't know.

The start command in /etc/snmp/conf/mibiisa.rsrc specifies a -r parameter, this
-r tells the agent to only accept read requests.

so remove the -r from the start command line in mibiisa.rsrc     (eg command =
"/usr/lib/snmp/mibiisa -p $PORT")

After that, your snmpset should be accepted, the reason why you were probably
getting errors telling you that variable didn't exsist was due to the read only
restriction, you would also have the same problem if you used the wrong write
community string.

Just to recap on the master agent for those who don't know how it works, the
master agent is simply a relay agent, this issue with mibiisa has nothing to do
with the SEA. Since SUN provide a couple of agents (mibii and dmi ) alongside in
the SEA package, it looks like they are part of SEA, but they aren't really.

Even though this write problem is easy to fix for the mibiisa agent, it would be
a good idea to replace it with the UCD or empire agents as the sun agent doesn't
provide much information. For example, the empire agent can monitor log files
and send traps when thresholds are reached, you can request a list of installed
on a remote hosts and the agent will run pkginfo in the background and return a
table of installed software.

Mark :-)

Elizabeth_Bagley@tivoli.com on 05/02/2000 02:45:38