Re: Difference between OpenView and Netview on NT?

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Difference between OpenView and Netview on NT?
From: "Boyles, Gary P" <gary.p.boyles@INTEL.COM>
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2000 11:27:38 -0800
My 2 cents.

We were on AIX NetView, and went to NetView on NT.

The biggest disadvantage:    No X-windows.

Note:   Any reference to Openview... is based on my own experience of
        a few years ago.  You'll have to check yourself as to whether
        my opinions are still valid with the current NNM.

Advantages:
  1)  I like the "nvsniffer" implementation.  It lets me instrument
      just about anything, and lets me create managed interfaces
        automatically for those "things" (services, applications, etc).
  2)  The desktops are cheap.  I have a 500MHZ Pentium III desktop,
        and I have manged over 1500 routers/switches/hubs with about
        10% CPU utilization.  256 MB of memory.
  3)  One advantage over Openview -- (NT or AIX) -- you get the
        developement kit for free.
  4)  Another advantage... (over Openview) you don't have to mess
        with complicated licensing schemes.  I remember when Openview
        license depended on your IP-address.  Couldn't change your
        IP-address without getting a new license.  Don't know if its
        still like that though.  It was a pain, though.
  5)  NetView NT performance data is (exported ??) to perf-mon, so
      you can use NT perf-mon to get a lot of performance data,
        and graphs on how NetView is doing.
  6)  NetView NT has its own paging utility.  I know Openview
        didn't used to  (don't know it its still like that).
  7)    I like the GUI better on the NT version than the UNIX version.
        (i.e. the use of "hints", and being able to mask-out nodes
        with the status-filter toolbar).

Cost... I don't know.  I believe  NetView version goes for
$5000 for a version that is < 1000 nodes, and $15,000 for an
unlimited license.  Contact your friendly sales-rep for actual numbers.

Rulesets tended to use a lot of CPU... so I use perl... so I don't
care about the ruleset editor (anymore).  On a good note... I find
the ActivateState Perl to be very fast.

Doing without X-windows is a pain, but the V6 NetView web-browser
takes some of the pain away.

I believe that the NetView (NT) Engineering group would disagree that
the NetView NT system is not the "workhorse" that UNIX is.  In our own
tests... we've managed over 10,000 nodes with a dual-processor
450MHZ Pentium II (512 MB of memory).  Performance wasn't anything
to write home about, but it was still doing its job.

Since you come from a UNIX background... I'd suggest the MKS Unix
Utilities. I couldn't live without it.

There is also a mail utility out there called "blat".  I'd suggest that
if you want to send mail from the command-line.

That's my 2 cents.  Actually, that was about a dollar's worth.

Regards,

Gary Boyles