Re: Netview server to server communications

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Netview server to server communications
From: James Shanks <James_Shanks@TIVOLI.COM>
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2000 12:29:39 -0500
The only easy way to do this is to have the remote sites install NetView for NT
and the NT MLM on the same box.  They then become what is known as an "attended"
MLM.  They can look at their own area just fine, but the MLM forwards their
status up to the main site, just as if their were no GUI there.  The main site
should be running NetView for UNIX so it can control the MLM functions with
smconfig and APM, which do not exist in the NT product.

NetView for UNIX boxes do not have the attended MLM capability, which requires
cooperative code in netmon and the MLM to work, and they do not normally share
statuses.  Using just NetView for UNIX you would have to have separate NetViews
just smaller ones at the remote sites, but the main one would do all his own
polling, thus duplicating the efforts done at the remote location.  Is this a
big issue?  You will have to decide.  Here in the lab environment we have
several dozen NetViews running, monitoring each others machines on the
IBM/Tivoli network, and we see no ill effects.  But we have a lot of internal
bandwidth.

James Shanks
Tivoli (NetView for UNIX) L3 Support

Bruce Ecklund x7240 <becklund@su1c.ess.harris.com> on 02/18/2000 11:02:23 AM