Object blues

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Object blues
From: "Bocock, Leonard I." <leonard.bocock@NZ.UNISYS.COM>
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2000 17:59:49 -0500
Hi List

NetView 5.1.1
I am having trouble gettig two hosts objects on to a map.  We use a seed
file to restrict discovery, and the two devices are in the file.
Autodiscovery is "on". An ovtopodump shows NetView is aware of the two
hosts.
If I search the root map for these hosts, they don't exist anywhere.  If I
add them using Add->Object, NetView says an object of this name already
exists in this map or another (but where I ask, why can I not find them?)

So I manually add them in to the correct sub-net sub-map and they add ok and
go green, and appear to be "managed". But I can't get them to connect to the
line. If I go add->connction, and select object properties->ip, the NetView
client shuts down (a bug?).

So, questions are -
(1) Why can't I locate either of these hosts in any map yet netView knows
about them.
(2) Why won't they just auto-connect to the line?
(3) Shouldn't I be able to add a connection - is the GUI collapsing a sign
of a bug, or a corruption in the database somwhere?

Thanks, Leonard

Leonard Bocock
Solutions Architect

Unisys