Re: Object blues

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Object blues
From: simonlong@SYNERGY.COM.AU
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2000 10:57:31 +1000
So, questions are -
(1) Why can't I locate either of these hosts in any map yet netView knows
about them.

Are you sure you couldn't locate them in any map.   Have you tried the segment
submaps or run a search ( locate ) operation from the menus.

If a node is in the topology database ( ovtopodump ) then it should also
be in your map database.   Try using ovmapdump to verify.   If it isn't in your
map then there are two things I might suggest:-

     i. Sometimes issues arise of this type if you have more than one
        map database and you delete a node from one of them. It will not
        be redistributed to the map databases until the last copy is
        removed from all map databases in which it exists.
     ii. If the discovery process hasn't proceeded correctly for the
        particular nodes there can be some very odd phenomena.  The
        basic trick is to remove the problem node from all databases
        and then wait for the discovery process to find them again correctly.

(2) Why won't they just auto-connect to the line?

Because you can't cut and paste non-connector node into an IPInternet submap or
even at the subnet ubmap level ( unless they are identified in your oid_to_type
as being Hubs or Switches ) - or I should say "you can but it will then bet put
into the User Plane ( ie.it will show status but will not visually manifest
the details of topology - eg. connections ).

(3) Shouldn't I be able to add a connection - is the GUI collapsing a sign
of a bug, or a corruption in the database somwhere?

As far as I know you can, but I'd probably be more concerned for the time
being with coming to terms with how Netview does topology.  The basic bottom
line is that an ipmap daemon coordinates the map topology detail in
sync with the topology database.  It puts things in map locations
according to a particular rationale.  When things are moved or copied to
places where they are not meant to be you lose the value of the topological
representation facility that you are using.  When I am trying to see things
in a fashion not supported by ipmap ( represented by IPInternet icon at root
level ) I will normally ustilise the Collections functionality.

If you want to discuss topology with respect to Netview further - let me know.

Regards,

Simon Long
Synergy Plus Pty Ltd