Re: Demand Polling

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Demand Polling
From: Leslie Clark <lclark@US.IBM.COM>
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2000 01:30:18 -0500
When host Netview shows instantaneous status of  SNA connections to nodes,
it is because the host is holding one end of each session, and knows
immediately when the other end is dropped (well, that's how I think of
it, anyway). With the IP product's polling architecture, it is a whole
other
thing. If I were doing it, I would look for an agent to run on each node
that monitored the apps every couple of seconds, and only reported
changes to Netview. Netview should of course keep in touch with
that agent to make sure it is really up, but that can be much less
frequent.
What I have just described sounds a  lot like the MLM  (or SIA) on each
target
node.  As soon as the app fails (or however many seconds you set the
local checking for), a trap goes to Netview and status is changed.

Just getting IP status on a realtime basis would be iffy. Doing anything
more than that I would expect problems.

Detroit

So you are saying that all the things you monitor are local to you, and
that is
why a 5-second cycle might work?   I'd still be starting with a 1 minute
cycle,
or 30 seconds or even 15 seconds, before I went to 5 seconds.  This is
still a
network we are talking about and not the same box.   And if your FDDI is
not
local then you will probably want a cycle of minutes and not seconds.
But
have at it.  Experiment all you like.  Watch your CPU cycles.

You change the NetView polling cycle by using xnmsnmpconf,  either by
typing
that in on the command line, or by using the GUI and pulling down Options
-->
SNMP Configuration.   Is that what you did?     It takes netmon awhile to
notice
that the cycle has been shortened (because he has already established
queues and
timers for the old values, and won't build new ones until the old ones
expire).
So after you dramatically lower the values you may want to ovstop netmon
and
then ovstart him.

Good luck

James Shanks