Re: Demand Polling

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Demand Polling
From: James Shanks <James_Shanks@TIVOLI.COM>
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2000 22:34:27 -0500
5 seconds for a default?  Bob, that's going to drive your network and your
NetView box to its knees.  Think about that.   A ping to every device in your
database every five seconds?  How quickly will they respond?  Before long netmon
will probably behind in one cycle when it becomes time to start another,
resulting in 100% CPU utilization and a network congested with ICMP requests.
Unless you have a very tiny network this is unworkable.
So let's back up.  What exactly are you trying to do?  How did you try to change
the polling interval? And what exactly didn't work?

James Shanks
Tivoli (NetView for UNIX) L3 Support

Bob Stamm <Robert_Stamm@RES.RAYTHEON.COM> on 02/22/2000 05:30:59 PM

      <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>