Re: Weird map update problem

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Weird map update problem
From: James Shanks <James_Shanks@TIVOLI.COM>
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2000 23:07:41 -0500
Ok, you aptly titled this, "Weird map update problem".  Let's try and summarize.
You have two routers, among dozens of other others.  The only thing that
distinguishes them is their placement in the network.  But sometimes, and not
all the time, the interfaces will all show as green (up) and you can see them
that way on the map when you drill down, yet the router icon for the submap will
be red, even when its interface is green below, and at the higher level all the
router will show marginal or yellow.  Is that right?  And demand poll will not
fix it.  Unmanage and re-manage will fix it --  changing the router to green.
And you have no hidden interfaces, none of them peculiar (they are all IP
addresses and pingable) in any way.  Is this all correct?
And you saw Interface up traps for all the interfaces.  Right after the last one
you should see a Node Up for the router.  Do you?

Sounds to me like an ipmap problem and I would be formatting the nettl logs and
running ovtopofix -a to see what kinds of errors got flushed out.  But as for an
easy fix, well that's a different story.  I never heard of anything such as you
describe.
As you might guess, I'm having a hard time visualizing this.   I would open a
problem to Support.

James Shanks
Tivoli (NetView for UNIX) L3 Support