Re: Weird map update problem

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Weird map update problem
From: Patrick McNeil <patrick_mcneil@YAHOO.COM>
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2000 08:50:02 -0600
Yes, that is correct.  Here is kind of an ASCII view of what we have:

                                    |------------|
                        ------------| Stub site 1|
                        |           |------------|

|-----------|     |-----------|     |------------|
| Corporate |-----| Hub site  |-----| Stub site 2|
|-----------|     |-----------|     |------------|

Hub Site Sub-map:
(-----------)     |-----------|     (------------)
( X.X.X.X   )-----| Router    |-----(   X.X.Y    )
(-----------)     |-----------|     (------------)
   Yellow            Green             Yellow

X.X.X.X Sub-map:
(-----------)     |-----------|
( Segment 1 )-----|  Router   |
(-----------)     |-----------|
   Yellow            Red

Segment 1 Sub-map:
    |                |
|-----------|  |-----------|
| Router    |  | Device 1  |
|-----------|  |-----------|
     Red           Green

At the hub site submap, there is a router and two network icons.  The router
is Green, the network Icon's are both Yellow.  If you drill down into the
router, all the interfaces are Green (no hidden intrfaces at all).  If you
drill into either of the network symbols, the router icon is red (same
router as before, drill into it all interfaces are Green) and the network
icon is yellow.  Drill down into the network again, the router is still red,
but everything else is green (thus the reason the network was yellow).

As for the Event stream, here is the order of events:
  Interface Down for each of the interfaces on Router at hub site
  Node Down for hub site
  Same for Stub sites and Device 1
  Interface up for each of the interfaces on Router at hub site
  Node up for hub site
  Same for Stub sites and Device 1

Currently, everything is as it should be (everthing that is actually down is
red and everthing that is up is green).  I will probably open a problem to
support the next time this happens (since it is currently not happening at
this moment) and see what they say about it.

Patrick