Re: Reg Ciscoworks

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Reg Ciscoworks
From: Jane Curry <jane.curry@SKILLS-1ST.CO.UK>
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2000 09:59:15 +0000
Hi Amy,
Integration between NetView and CiscoWorks does seem to be very
dependent on the exact levels of code you are running.  I have AIX 4.3.3
with NetView 5.1.2.  I have Solaris 2.7 with the new CiscoWorks 2000
Routed WAN Management bundle - I don't think the Op Sys matters but the
integration with CiscoWorks in particular, gets better with later CW
code.

With the code as above, you import the NetView database into RME simply
by going to the RME tab and selecting Administration -> Inventory ->
Import from Remote NMS.  NetView is listed - you choose it - tiddly
pom!  If you have an older version of RME (ie not 3.0), I still made
this work but the obvious menu didn't have a pick-item of NetView;
however the utility behind the menu item, crmimport.pl in the CW bin
directory, supports input from a Comma Separated Value (CSV) file.

To get your NetView database exported to a CSV file, Cisco provide a
utility called DataPrep.pl (in CW base directory,
cgi-bin/import/pimport).  The version of the utility I had (I think with
RME 2.1) DID support NetView although not well documented.  From your CW
machine, you specify the host NetView is on, the user to access the NV
machine with and a parameter to say the database is NetView.  Make sure
you have a .rhosts file setup on your NV system for the user you
specify, to allow access from your CW system.

My base CW directory was /space/CSCOpx and the command I used was:

/space/CSCOpx/cgi-bin/import/pimport/DataPrep.pl -H poppet -U root -d nv
fred

where fred was my output file.  Then use that with crmimport.pl

/space/CSCOpx/bin/crmimport.pl -o fred

Integration between NetView and CiscoView requires a very new version of
the AIX NetView Integration Utility.  By default from CCO, you only seem
to get Integration Utilities, Adapters and NMIDBs for Solaris and NT.
To get the AIX one, point your web browser at

ftp://xxxx@ftp.cisco.com/cisco/netmgmt/ciscoview/5.0/intg-utility

where xxxx is your CCO id - if you go straight in with www you seem to
lose the userid part and get bounced.  Download IntgUtil.v1-1.aix.tar.Z
and the Unix README - it's straight forward from there - I found I
needed about 64Mb for the filesystem the Integration Utility installs in
to (/opt/CSCOpx by default).  I found it took around 30 mins to install.

You get lots of new icon and a new NetView menu with access to CiscoView
and RME.  There seems to be a known problem with your new Cisco icons
not being executable but you can always run CiscoView from the menu
option.

Hope that helps - contact me offline if you need more.

Regards, Jane
--
Tivoli Certified Enterprise Consultant & Instructor
Tel: +44 (0)1628 782565