Re: Events Question...

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Events Question...
From: James Shanks <James_Shanks@TIVOLI.COM>
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2000 13:22:57 -0500
There are two kinds of displays of Events in NetView :  Current Events and
Events History.   When you start a (Current) Events session you open a window
with a ruleset which determines what part of the event stream you are eligible
to receive.  nvcorrd takes the last 100 events in his cache and runs them
against your ruleset (even if it is forwardall.rs) and determines which ones are
to be sent to your window per the ruleset you are running.  These he forwards to
nvserverd with an indication that they are for you.  And nvserverd sends them on
the your window.

If you want to see events from before this time, then you must use Events
History rather than Current Events.  The entire time that events are coming in,
the sieve daemon, ovesmd, is getting them from trapd, and passing them to the
log daemon, ovelmd, who stores them in formatted fashion in ovevent.log  This
log is smaller than trapd.log (max size is 2MB) and turns over more rapidly, so
you can only see the most recent past events this way, but it should show your
operators what they want in the morning, and then they can monitor current
events.

James Shanks
Tivoli (NetView for UNIX) L3 Support

Gord Michaels <gord_michaels@HOTMAIL.COM> on 02/25/2000 10:45:35 AM