Re: NetView migration to new hardware

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: NetView migration to new hardware
From: James Shanks <James_Shanks@TIVOLI.COM>
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2000 15:33:51 -0500
 1. Is the backup created with sermigv5 the actual directory structure
     /usr/OV.back.v5r0? Just want to be sure so I can make sure enough disk
     space is available.

Yes.  That's really what it is called.  And it will remain on your system until
you remove it.  I still have the /usr/OV.back.v4r1  from my first migration.

     2. Are maps lost? Will anything need to be rebuilt after migrating?

No, maps are not lost.  That's the point of the procedure -- to save your
customization.

If you are using security, then you will have to rebuild your security profiles
because those are not migrated.   You may have more things to do if you have
third-party applications installed that tie into NetView.

     3. Is it necessary to tar, then pax? Can the directory structure just
     be copied over to the new server, or will there be issues with sparse
     files during copy?

How you get the directory structure there is your business. What did you have in
mind?
The tar/pax method is one sure way to do it.  And the only issue is that if you
use tar/tar to archive and then unpack, you will use more space than you did on
the old box.  Not a problem if you have a lot, or don't care, but it could be if
you are tight on space or have a large object database.

James Shanks
Tivoli (NetView for UNIX and NT) L3 Support

Drew Van Order <dvanorder@dttus.com> on 02/28/2000 03:12:34 PM

     This is good. I only have three more questions:

     1. Is the backup created with sermigv5 the actual directory structure
     /usr/OV.back.v5r0? Just want to be sure so I can make sure enough disk
     space is available.

     2. Are maps lost? Will anything need to be rebuilt after migrating?

     3. Is it necessary to tar, then pax? Can the directory structure just
     be copied over to the new server, or will there be issues with sparse
     files during copy?

     Thanks James

     DVO

Author:  James_Shanks@TIVOLI.COM at Internet-USA
Date:    2/28/00 11:33 AM

Well, my guess is that you want some other user to comment on this but I cannot
resist.
You seem to have been given the procedure but not the explanation that goes with
it.

     >1.  Mount the NetView V5.1 CD on the old V5.0 system.  From the MUSTSEE
     >directory on that CD, run  -->  sermigv5 save -p '/usr/OV/ALL'

The idea here is that that the sermigv5 procedure on the V5.1 CD is an upgraded
version of the one on the V5.0 system, so you should use the one on the V5.1 CD
and not the one you have installed.

     >2.  Tar up the resultant directory.  -->  tar -cvf  v50stuff.tar
     >/usr/OV.back.v5r0

You are creating a tar file archive of the entire /usr/OV/back.v5.r0 directory.
This and all the subdirectories in it are created when you run the sermigv5
procedure.

     >3.  Move/copy the tar file to the new system.  Un-archive it with  -->
     pax >-rf  /usr/OV.back.v5r0

Pax is a utility which does a better job than tar of preserving sparse file
structures, so using pax rather than tar here will guarantee the least possible
disk space is used when restoring the archive.

     >4.  Delete managed node and take the old system off-line. >
     >>
     >5.  Rename and change the IP address of the new system.  Create managed
     >node of
     >the new system.

This allows you to not worry about the Tivoli Framework.  You don't have to mess
with migrating that.  Just install afresh on the new box.

     >>6.  Double check all prereqs.  Install NetView V5.1 (Create NetView
     server). >

If there is a /usr/OV/back.v5.r0  directory when the install of V5.1 is done,
the install procedure will merge user customization from the backup directory
with the new install.  This is how NetView always migrates.

     >7.  Make sure NetView works OK.  Then apply the V5.1.2 patch.

The idea here is that you want to make sure your install in Step 6 ran fine
before proceeding with the 5.1.2 patch.  Because if it didn't, you will have to
fix that first, and it will be easier to tell where the problem is if you
haven't overlaid things with the patch.

I'm sure this procedure has been tested, bit formally by Tivoli Verification,
and informally by others.  This is essentially the one I used.

James Shanks
Tivoli (NetView for UNIX and NT) L3 Support

Drew Van Order <dvanorder@DTTUS.COM> on 02/28/2000 10:30:36 AM

      <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>

To:   NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU
Subject:  NetView migration to new hardware

     Hi All,

     We are moving NetView (5.1) to new hardware, and upgrading to 5.1.2. The
     new hardware will be renamed to have the same hostname/IP address.

     Below is advice provided by Tivoli. Looking for a sanity check here. Will
     this cleanly work? Also, where does the the resultant backup put the data?
     Any advice is greatly appreciated!

     Try this process:

     >1.  Mount the NetView V5.1 CD on the old V5.0 system.  From the MUSTSEE
     >directory on that CD, run  -->  sermigv5 save -p '/usr/OV/ALL'
     >

     >2.  Tar up the resultant directory.  -->  tar -cvf  v50stuff.tar
     >/usr/OV.back.v5r0
     >
     >3.  Move/copy the tar file to the new system.  Un-archive it with  -->
     pax >-rf  /usr/OV.back.v5r0

     >4.  Delete managed node and take the old system off-line. >
     >>
     >5.  Rename and change the IP address of the new system.  Create managed
     >node of
     >the new system.
     >
     >>6.  Double check all prereqs.  Install NetView V5.1 (Create NetView
     server). >
     >7.  Make sure NetView works OK.  Then apply the V5.1.2 patch.

     Thanks

     DVO