NetView migration to new hardware

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: NetView migration to new hardware
From: Drew Van Order <dvanorder@DTTUS.COM>
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2000 09:30:36 -0600
     Hi All,

     We are moving NetView (5.1) to new hardware, and upgrading to 5.1.2. The
     new hardware will be renamed to have the same hostname/IP address.

     Below is advice provided by Tivoli. Looking for a sanity check here. Will
     this cleanly work? Also, where does the the resultant backup put the data?
     Any advice is greatly appreciated!

     Try this process:

     >1.  Mount the NetView V5.1 CD on the old V5.0 system.  From the MUSTSEE
     >directory on that CD, run  -->  sermigv5 save -p '/usr/OV/ALL'
     >

     >2.  Tar up the resultant directory.  -->  tar -cvf  v50stuff.tar
     >/usr/OV.back.v5r0
     >
     >3.  Move/copy the tar file to the new system.  Un-archive it with  -->
     pax >-rf  /usr/OV.back.v5r0

     >4.  Delete managed node and take the old system off-line. >
     >>
     >5.  Rename and change the IP address of the new system.  Create managed
     >node of
     >the new system.
     >
     >>6.  Double check all prereqs.  Install NetView V5.1 (Create NetView
     server). >
     >7.  Make sure NetView works OK.  Then apply the V5.1.2 patch.

     Thanks

     DVO