Re: IPX monitoring

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: IPX monitoring
From: Leslie Clark <lclark@US.IBM.COM>
Date: Tue, 29 Feb 2000 21:02:30 -0500
There is a menu pick under Tools or Administer that deals with 'openmon'.
That interface was provided to allow Net view to take a feed from
applications like the Netware Managewise console. The Managewise console
software had a hook added to it at some point to send Netview a topology
update
on a periodic basis, and to maintain status. The managewise console had to
be IP
and SNMP accessable from Netview.  The interface was intended to be
general,
but was never taken advantage of by any other product as far as I know.

This is documented in a Redbook from 1995, which is not listed on the
public
redbooks site (www.redbooks.ibm.com), but it is listed on the IBM
internal website as being available in .pdf format.

 Integrating NetWare Management into NetView for AIX, SG24-2532-00

So search your bookshelves, or ask your friendly IBM rep to help you
get it. Let me know if you need a friendly IBMer.

Caveat: I don't know if any of the software involves has maintained that
interoperability.  Most folks just added IP to everything, or managed
separately from Managewise.

Detroit

In a previous life, the NetView system we had could monitor IPX
connections.
Is this option still available under Tivoli/NetView?  If so, what's is
called?

Thanks
Steve Stamper
Grand Rapids, MI