Ruleset Development: First time, complex MIB

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Ruleset Development: First time, complex MIB
From: "Austin, Jon (FUSA)" <JonAustin@FIRSTUSA.COM>
Date: Fri, 3 Mar 2000 08:31:24 -0500
I've just subscribed to the list, so if anything I ask show's I'm a clueless
newbie please tactfully correct me.

I've primarily worked on the Tivoli Framework/DM/TEC side of integration's,
but I'm integrating traps from a MIB end-to-end, from NetView to
Expert Advisor (TSD Problem Management). I've got a product MIB with 106
traps and I don't have control of the SNMP configuration at the
source. I do want to pass through to T/EC 42 of the traps. Of these 42, 2
are to be forwarded immediately, and the rest are pairs of Down/Up
traps for various components. The Down/Up pairs should clear themselves in
NetView if the Up trap arrives in 10 minutes. However, if the Up
trap arrives any later, it should be forwarded to T/EC where it will
downgrade the severity of the Down event and EA Ticket. The MIB is written
with
6 variables that are always present and the occasional 7th or 8th to
precisely identify the component and problem. Variables 1,2,3 can pretty
much uniquely identify an component in conjunction with Variables 7 & 8 when
they're present.

Here's my first idea for the ruleset:

1st Node is Event Attribute for the MIB
  3 Trap settings -
        Settings 1 - all 20 of the Down traps
        Settings 2 - all 20 of the Up traps
        Settings 3 - the 2 traps that should forward immediately
      A Reset on Match with Trap Settings 1 on Slot 1 and Trap Setting 2 on
Slot 2. The delay is set to 10 minutes, and the
          attributes to match on are 1,2,3,7,8
     The Reset on Match and Trap Settings 3 connect to a Collection Query
where we test for the origin being in an 'Important Nodes' collection.
         The Query connects to a forwarding

Here's my questions:

1) Should this work as far as forwarding the down traps? We do this already
for other event sources, so I have high confidence in that.
2) Will the Up traps that arrive later than 10 minutes be forwarded? If not,
how's the best way to handle this? I'm really trying to avoid having
to code all of these timer requirements in T/EC.
3) Will reset on match blow up if a trap variable for comparison doesn't
exist? The trap pairs have 6, 7, or 8 variables, and I'd rather not
have to break it out into separate groups if possible.
4) Am I making a bad assumption grouping all of Down traps and Up traps
together? My justification is that all the matching attributes should
only succeed  for the Up trap, and not the 19 other Up traps should they
happen to come in. Am I playing it too fast and loose here?
5)This ruleset will be imported into our current T/EC forwarding ruleset. Is
this an example of well-written code (for function/performance) or have
I missed something?

I would really appreciate any evaluation or expertise that anyone is able to
pass along. I'm on the Tivoli TME 10 Digest and there we have
some acknowledged experts in T/EC (i.e. I.V.Blankenship and Paul Roscoe) who
are very willing to nurture skills in T/EC rule writing that exceed
what's in the Tivoli manuals.  I hope the same exists for NetView....

Jon Austin
Technical Services - Enterprise Management
First USA Bank
Phone: 302-282-3498
Pager: 877-573-9542
JonAustin@FirstUSA.com