RE: NetView

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: RE: NetView
From: lclark@us.ibm.com
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2000 18:45:22 -0500

The original thought in the designers minds was that each operator would
be given the power to arrange his own map, containing only the things they
were interested in. In real life, I suspect that no one does this. It
always ends
up being one poor administrator making multiple maps for special purposes
and woe be to the operator who changes it.

I usually advise against multiple maps if it can be helped, but there are
some
things you really need r/w maps for, in which case I recommend that they be
identical, so they can be deleted and re-saved easily. I know that for
really
large enterprises this approach does not hold up, and they need the ability
to 'delete from all maps', rather than just 'delete from all submaps' more
than
anyone.  People are making architectural decisions based on the lack of
this little function.

It is probably not as simple as we might think, but I do suggest that you
send
a note to netview@tivoli.com and/or your local Tivoli rep suggesting this
very
thing.