RE: NV-L Digest - 11 Mar 2000 (was Netview)

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: RE: NV-L Digest - 11 Mar 2000 (was Netview)
From: lclark@us.ibm.com
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 14:16:49 -0500

Just to clarify this: There are maps, and there are submaps. For
instance, the default map is called 'default'. Nothing that you do
in one map affects any other maps you may have. The different
windows you get when drilling down in a map are submaps. So
Edit...Delete..  will delete only from the current map. The issue that
came up was the need to delete things from all MAPS before they
can be rediscovered.

On Unix, you can use Edit..Delete, and get a choice of 'from this
submap' and 'from all submaps'. From the context menu, you get
the choice of deleting this symbol, or the object.

On NT, the Object...Delete is less ambiguous. It does a 'from all submaps'.
 And you also have the 'delete' key, which appears to do less, like the
'delete
symbol' does on the Unix context menu. And I think there is something
on the context menu as well (Object..delete) but I don't remember what it
does.

In general, if you really want to delete something so that it can be
rediscovered, use the top menu:
   Unix: Edit.. Delete..from all submaps
   NT: Object..Delete
Further, you will have to open all MAPS (look under File..Open for other
maps).

If you did a bad paste and ended up with a floater (a symbol in the
application plane), you can usually clean that up with:
   Unix: context menu edit..delete..symbol
   NT: the delete key

Detroit

---------------------- Forwarded by Leslie Clark/Southfield/IBM on