Re: nvpager - reset modem

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: nvpager - reset modem
From: James_Shanks@tivoli.com
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2000 09:05:42 -0500

Paul -

Without some debug on your part, I doubt that there is anything we can say.  Did
you look in the nvpagerd.alog or nvpagerd.errlog for clues as to what happened?

And you neglected to even say whether you were using NT or UNIX, and what level
of NetView.  Since you said "tty" I am  guessing UNIX.  What flavor?

When nvpage works, that means that the page has been put on nvpagerd's queue.
The message "message sent successfully" does not mean the page has been sent,
only that the page command has been successfully  put on nvpagerd's queue.  The
only way to use a different tty than the one you start with it to stop nvpagerd,
edit the nvpager.config file where the tty is specified, and change it.

If this happens frequently, I would suggest you add the "-d" flag to nvpagerd's
ovsuf record so that he will trace all the time. But then you will have to
monitor /usr/OV/log/nvpagerd.alog to make sure it doesn't eat all your space.
It gets overwritten when the daemon gets restarted.

James Shanks
Tivoli (NetView for UNIX and NT) L3 Support

Paul Fordy <paul.fordy@virgin.net> on 03/21/2000 03:35:28 AM