Re: Event/Ruleset Question

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Event/Ruleset Question
From: James_Shanks@tivoli.com
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2000 12:58:22 -0500

The first thing to note here is that you are not going to alter what netmon
does.  His polling intervals should remain whatever they have been.  Dynamically
altering your SNMP Configuration is not what is meant here. And it would be a
bad idea to attempt that .  Besides, netmon polling will take no notice of cpu
and memory utilization in those devices.

Rather, I think that what you are being asked to do is to collect your own data
via SNMP  and take action on it.    So you are going to create a collection
based on isRouter and IP Status = Critical and then you are going to use this
collection in snmpCollect.    I cannot tell you what MIB values you will have to
use to obtain values for things like CPU and memory in the router.  You will
have to determine that for yourself unless some other user responds with a
suggestion.  I would use the mib browser against one of those routers and see
wht kind of data it will respond with.   In any case, once you have snmpCollect
collecting on these MIB values, you can set a threshold and have it notify you
with an event when that threshold is exceeded.  That event can then be used to
drive a pop-up window or whatever alert mechanism you need.   That's where the
ruleset or automatic action in trapd comes in -- at the very end.

James Shanks
Tivoli (NetView for UNIX and NT) L3 Support

"Ferreira, Linda" <FerreiraL@nabisco.com> on 03/28/2000 12:43:44 PM