Re: Keeping NV fields up-to-date

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Keeping NV fields up-to-date
From: James_Shanks@tivoli.com
Date: Fri, 7 Apr 2000 07:10:32 -0400

Well, Joe, I, for one, do not understand this problem you are complaining about.
The fields that netmon uses are always up to date.  If he sets them, then he
will modify them on a config poll.  The rest of them, the sorts of things set by
nvsniffer, or third-party products, or even added by the user with nvdbimport,
are for use by others, in collections for example.  So there is no conflict that
I can see and there is no need for things to get rediscovered in subsequent
versions of NetView.  The development team is well aware that you cannot be
expected to re-discover your network with each new release and that is not, nor
has it ever been, a requirement.

As for changes in oid-to-type and oid-to-sym, those files would be updated if
changed in subsequent release and any impacts would be noted in the Release
Notes.  You would then only have to delete and re-discover objects if they had
been badly discovered in the first place, which is why the changes would be
made.

Adding third-party products is a different story, and you may well have to
delete and rediscover to get their full benefits, but it should be up to that
product to tell you that, shouldn't it?

So far as I can see, the general problem you allude does not exist, though a
specific case might.  Have you got one of those you want to discuss?

James Shanks
Tivoli (NetView for UNIX and NT) L3 Support

"Prokott, Joe" <Joe.Prokott@westgroup.com> on 04/06/2000 06:23:27 PM