RE: Re:Keeping NV fields up-to-date

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: RE: Re:Keeping NV fields up-to-date
From: "Prokott, Joe" <Joe.Prokott@westgroup.com>
Date: Fri, 7 Apr 2000 10:43:06 -0500
I have seen similar issues that Leslie explains below.  We too use the
vendor field and this issue has come up because of this example.

I believe the underlying problem in general is that we do not know which
fields require rediscovery to update and which ones do not????  As Leslie
mentions, "vendor" and "SNMPAgent" are two such fields.  I think there are
others as well.

Let's take this case by case - is there a way to update the "vendor" field
without doing rediscovery???  If not, what are the specific properties of
the "vendor" field that does not allow NV to update this field via a config.
check or some other periodic poll, ovtopofix, etc...?  How can I find/know
all the other fields in the NetView database that behave this same way and
only update upon rediscovery??  After we look at the properties of the
"vendor" field that makes NetView only update on rediscovery, are there
other fields in NetView that only update on rediscovery for other different
reasons???

All I am trying to do is EASILY(i.e., minimal resources) put everything in
sync. and accurate in NV and since there is no message such as, for example,
"Config. check sees that the 'vendor' field in the NV database for object
XXXX does not match what is defined in the oid_to_type file, please
rediscover", we do not know when to do this.  Ideally, it would be nice if
we could configure NetView so it would just update this field and not
require rediscovery.  We could do like Leslie does and create a separate
collection for "vendor=Unset" and periodically check this collection, but
this is only one example for one field and why should we manually do this if
NV should be updating these fields anyway???  I wonder how many other fields
are not correct because they are different now vs. when they were initially
discovered?

All I want is a way to determine which NV fields are defined as static and
can/do other vendors add such static fields?  Furthermore, if NV disovers
that these static fields become different(which it should be able to do via
its polling or from some periodic command - whether or not it is getting
done is another question), NV should at least have the option of sending
some sort of event/notification letting the NV administrator know about
these differences.

Joe