Re: Variable subnet Masks and netview

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Variable subnet Masks and netview
From: W.M.de.Bruin@DNB.NL
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2000 10:03:28 +0200

David,

Yes, this is exactly what we are doing. And in my original message I indeed
thought that Netview was applying a 30 bit mask to 32 bit mask addresses.
I have in the meantime, however, checked the Object ID information, and it seems
that Netview  indeed discovers them with the correct masks.

However, I think that I am getting a bit closer to the source of the problem.
There is another uncontrolled (Read "rogue", "bunch of cowboys"...) network with
the same address. 10.1.0.0 and mask of 255.255.0.0   !!!???
I suspect that this might be the culprit confusing Netview.
So, I have two networks with the same names, but different masks. Pretty
confusing.......

This is where I will start looking to resolve this problem.
Any suggestions are still welcome.

Thanks for the help

Wouter de Bruin
Network Management Consultant
`Externe E-Mail wordt door DNB niet gebruikt voor het aangaan van
verplichtingen`

`Any e-mail messages from The Nederlandsche Bank are given in good faith
but shall not be binding
nor shall they be construed as constituting any obligation on the part of
the Bank.`