RE: Data Collection and HSRP

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: RE: Data Collection and HSRP
From: "Joel A. Gerber" <joel.gerber@usaa.com>
Date: Thu, 11 May 2000 16:45:32 -0500
We have HSRP on almost all of our router interfaces, and have never had a
problem with SNMP data collection.  Make sure that you are using a REAL IP
address for router A, and not the virtual HSRP address.  Also, when an HSRP
failover occurs, make sure that NetView still has IP connectivity to router
A.  If you're using HSRP, then you probably have multiple routes/paths in
your network between the NetView server and router A.  If that's the case,
then make sure that there is a virtual loopback interface configured on the
router, and that is the only IP address that the name for router A resolves
to.  Anytime there's an HSRP failover on router A, the routing tables will
be updated to re-establish a route to router A's loopback subnet, if there
is one.

Joel Gerber - I/T Networking Professional - USAA Information Technology Co.
- San Antonio, TX
* (210)456-4231         * mailto:Joel.Gerber@USAA.com   "
http://www.usaa.com