Re: NetView and NAT

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: NetView and NAT
From: lclark@us.ibm.com
Date: Fri, 12 May 2000 07:42:59 -0400

The answer is that alone, it does not. This is because most NAT firewalls
do not handle translation of the addresses in the payload, so snmp queries
to a device would return results that do not match the translated address
of
the device itself. This is why Tivoli has  come out with the CNAT product.
It sits on a server somewhere else to do the interception and translation,
and
it translates addresses in the payload as well as the address of the
device.
There is also code that runs on Netview itself, indicating those addresses
that have been normalized. I have not seen the product, only a presentation
on how it works.

Detroit

---------------------- Forwarded by Leslie Clark/Southfield/IBM on

Martin Walder <martin.walder@itmasters.com>@tkg.com on 05/12/2000 05:05:44