Using the proxy in the xnmsnmpconf

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Using the proxy in the xnmsnmpconf
From: lclark@us.ibm.com
Date: Fri, 12 May 2000 08:37:37 -0400

I've never had to use the proxy function before, and I want to make
sure I understand this correctly.  Say all devices in the network have
the old netview machine in their access list, but not the new machine's
(temporary) address. If I name that old netview machine (still up) as
the proxy on the default  entry in xnmsnmpconf, and add an explicit
entry for the new netview box itself with no proxy, should discovery
proceed more or less normally? I saw that once I did that, I was able
to snmpwalk devices that had not previously responded, but
I did not see the flood of discovery that I expected. Just wondered if
I understood this correctly. I'll be digging into it deeper today, but
I just want to make sure that this is supposed to work. Thanks...

Detroit