Re: Web Client

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Web Client
From: James_Shanks@tivoli.com
Date: Tue, 16 May 2000 20:14:55 -0400

You have been bitten by Sun Microsystems rather sloppy testing and slow
maintenance process.
I will probably catch a lot of flak for saying this, but I don't see that any
other face can be put on it.
Between the time we finished testing NetView 6.0 and it went out to customers,
about 60 to 90 days, Sun replaced their Swing client with a new one, which is,
unfortunately, broken.  So the one you downloaded does not work,  Contact
NetView Support and they can give you the previous one, which does, while we all
wait for Sun to get a sense of urgency and fix this.  Our lawyers say we cannot
ship the Swing thing because it is theirs, depite the fact that anyone can
download it.  But we can provide a copy of the one we tested with in order to
get you moving again.  It is a Severity 1 issue for Tivoli/IBM but not,
apparently, for Sun, despite the fact that it gives the whole idea of a java
client a black eye.  You'd think they'd be more responsive.

I love this business.

James Shanks
Tivoli (NetView for UNIX and NT) L3 Support

"Mahesh Tailor" <MTailor@carilion.com> on 05/16/2000 04:51:38 PM