Re: FW: Alert Filtering and summary report capability and reset Netview

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: FW: Alert Filtering and summary report capability and reset Netview customization parameters
From: James_Shanks@tivoli.com
Date: Thu, 25 May 2000 14:02:38 -0400

Peter -

Why is this user not asking his own questions?  You shouldn't have to forward
them.

In the future, it would be helpful if he or you would be specific about what
platform, UNIX or NT, you are asking about .  And that is fundamental, because
the event displays on each are radically different.

I will confine my answers to UNIX, since I saw the phrase "shell script" in one
of the questions.

(1) On UNIX, all traps get processed into events and go into trapd.log, unless
you configure them to "Don't log or display in trapd.conf).   You can then move
them to a relational database if you like.  What you see in the event windows
can vary by user, but the options each user can choose from are a fixed set.  No
matter what option you pull down in the Event window, you will not see a button
called :Acknowledge" nor are there any line commands which can influence your
event window after it is started, so the basic answer to question (1),
>The acknowledge means that the trap being selected and being
> "acknowledged" by click a acknowledge button or
>       equivalent.  The alert color will change after being acknowledged.
> Is this possbile ?
 is "no'".

(2) Question 2 is a bit confusing to  me because it switches back and forth
between talking about windows and reports.  While you can generate a report from
an event window, that is not the primary reason for having one open.  And since
your windows only display current events, the best way to write reports is to
run a script against trapd.log and forget about what's in the window.  But if
you want to have more that one window open you can do that.  You pull down the
Create menu and select "Dynamic Workspace" and then fill in the parameter boxes
to open whatever kind of workspace you need.  You can set filters from here,
change rulesets, restrict your viewing to specific classes of events, and so on.
     One of the things you can do in a filter is thresholding, which means that
you could build one which would show
"10 specific alerts  within 4 minutes".  Type in "filtered" (which stands for
"filter editor"  from the command line and you will see the THRESHOLD  block at
the bottom which would allow you to do this.   And because you can have another
dynamic workspace open with a different filter, you could also have a window
which showed all the events of that type not just the first 4.  So the answer to
question 2 is basically "yes" you can do both of these things with filters.  If
you have trouble with this, look in the Admin Guide and use the on-line Help in
the filter editor.

(3)  Question 3 is hard to answer because it  assumes something that is not
true.  You cannot bring up events with different filters using a shell script
directly.   The filters that are set  must be set in one of three ways: (1) from
the GUI, (2) by being listed in a file called .<userid>.events in the user's
$HOME directory, or by (3) being listed in a Workspaces file in  the user's
$HOME/NvEnvironment/ directory.   Since the latter must be created by using the
GUI, I don't recommend that you play with it, but it would be possible to create
one using the "Save Environment" button under Options, and then rename it, so
that you could create another.   To have nvevents start and read this Workspaces
file you would also have to copy  /usr/OV/app-defaults/Nvevents to the user's
$HOME directory and modify it to say
nvevents.loadEnvOnInit : True  .   Then when nvevents starts it will restore
whatever workspaces are saved in that Workspaces file for that user.   You might
consider building this just once, and have it start all your workspace, rather
than opening and closing nvevents multiple times -- just open all your required
workspaces at once and minimize or close those you are not using.
     The alternative is to create multiple files which contain  lists of filters
and to rename these to userid.events as needed to bring up different sets of
filters.   This is documented in the Admin Guide.

The other things that you mention, netmon polling intervals, and SNMP data
collection intervals, have nothing to do with events, so I don't know they  are
brought  up here.  But in general, there is no easy way to restore these things
to their defaults.   The /usr/OV/newconfig  subdirectories contain copies of all
the original configuration files we install with, but it can take some doing to
use these to restore the original defaults.

The polling intervals are part of the ovsnmp.conf database in /usr/OV/conf  and
you could get the ovsnmp.conf file from /usr/OV/newconfig/OVSNMP-RUN and then
use the xnmsnmpconf -import  command to restore it.   snmpCollect intervals are
controlled by snmpCol.conf.  You can get the original one of these in
/usr/OV/newconfig/OVSNMP-DC/snmpCol.conf, and you could then just ovstop
snmpCollect and replace the file.   But there is no general way to do this,
unless you undertake to write a script to do it, after you have determined what
things you want to restore.

James Shanks
Tivoli (NetView for UNIX and NT) L3 Support

"Yang, Peter" <peter.yang@lmco.com> on 05/24/2000 04:13:17 PM