Re: NetView Events not being displayed

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: NetView Events not being displayed
From: James_Shanks@tivoli.com
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2000 07:13:23 -0400

James -

In the future, please do not send notes to me directly.  They should go to nv-l
where the discussion originated.  Thanks.
It is likely that you are not the only curious party and that way they also get
archived.  I hope you don't mind that I have taken the liberty of doing that.

The fact that nvserverd says "STARTING" rather than "RUNNING" means that ovspmd,
who started him, did not receive his initialization message.  Why?  That is
anybody's guess at this point, unless you can format the nettl log (netfmt -f
nettl.LOG00 and LOG01) and find a clue there.  He may have had a socket problem.
If you already had TEC forwarding configured, he could have had a problem trying
to make contact with the TEC.  But without a stack trace or an error message it
would be impossible to tell.  Level 2 could provide you with a diagnostic tool
called "gdbprof" on Solaris ("dbxprof" on AIX) which could be attached to the
nvserverd process to get a stack trace if this continues.

Why did ovstop/ovstart clear it up?  Again, no one could know this for certain,
except that whatever resource problem we had the first time, was resolved when
we tried the second time.

Is nvserverd in the path for the Event Windows?  Yes, he is.  Raw traps come
into trapd, who formats them into an event structure, which is them passed on to
all connected applications, including netmon, ovtopmd, snmpCollect, and nvcorrd.
nvcorrd runs the correlation rules, and there is one of these for every event
window you open, even if it is just the default "forwradall.rs" which sends
everything along to nvserverd.  nvserverd maintains a huge cache of all
forwarded events, and passes these out to each connected event window, and he
also provides TEC forwarding.  TEC forwarding involves getting a TCP session
going to the TEC box, and if this cannot be established, it must re-try this
session establishment for each incoming event.  That is why a bogus tecint.conf
can slow the event windows to a crawl.

Hope this explanation helps.

James Shanks
Tivoli (NetView for UNIX and NT) L3 Support

"Lukens, James E" <james.e.lukens@lmco.com> on 06/08/2000 06:44:33 AM