Segment discovery

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Segment discovery
From: "Chance, Larry" <lchance@sfbcic.com>
Date: Fri, 9 Jun 2000 09:40:38 -0500
How does Netview determine the Network SEGMENTs when it
does an autodiscovery of the routers throughout the network?

I have users at a remote site that question the SEGMENT numbers
on their map, which was assigned by Netview.

It looks to me that Netview reads the route table entries after gathering
the router's interfaces and masks and calculates the SEGMENT number.
I would think those entries come from the 'routing' protocols used and
configured on the router, along with the 'network' number for the 'routing'
protocol, such as IGRP.  More or less, Is it the configuration of the router
that causes the SEGMENT number.  Am I even close?

Thanks,
Larry