Re: Netview and its handling of traps

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Netview and its handling of traps
From: Ray Schafer <schafer@tkg.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2000 15:15:00 +0000
David,

Unless your machine is real slow,  16 traps per second is nothing compared to
what NetView can sustain.  I have personally seen it handle 100 traps per
second for several minutes at a time, and we saw no problems.    Of course, we
had set the application queue size of trapd to 30,000 (If I recall - Daxesh are
you listening?)  but that was to prevent applications getting disconnected from
trapd.

Maybe your machine is running an old version of trapd (about 2 years ago trapd
was improved to be able to handle a lot more traps), or maybe you are low on
RAM, or your CPU is slow.  Make sure if you do a comparison with HP, you do
apples to apples.  Try to match the RAM, CPU power (as best you can - they are
different architectures), etc.