Antw: Re: netmon and /etc/hosts ?

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Antw: Re: netmon and /etc/hosts ?
From: "Michael Seibold" <Michael.Seibold@Gek.de>
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2000 17:47:11 +0200
We once had some problems when netview tried to lookup ip-addresses which were
not in the /etc/hosts and not in the nameserver configured in resolv.conf, so
this nameserver had to ask another nameserver which was not responding. As a
result netmon was stuck and no status changes took place (icons remained red,
new icons remained blue  etc.)

Maybe you write a little script looking for all ip-addresses in your netview
and then try to sort them and look if they are all in the domain your
nameserver is responsible for and check the time he needs to answer.

Michael Seibold

>>> schafer@tkg.com 15.06.2000  16.28 Uhr >>>
REIBENSCHUH Alfred wrote:

> ok, i have to correct the information about our setup:
>
> we have a caching-only bind running on the loopback interface
> which uses round-robbing to query our 3 company dns
> and the /etc/netsvc.conf specifies local,bind as resolv order

Alfred,
Assumptions:

  1. Originally you said that you were blocked in some system calls that took
     1 to 2 mins.  I assume you were talking about the gethostbyaddr() calls.
  2. You have an 4 way  s7a with 8GB RAM.
  3. You have an /etc/resolv.conf file

Your problem cannot be with the /etc/hosts file.  There is no way an s7a with
sufficeint memory to suck up a large /etc/hosts file is going to take 1 to 2
minutes to parse it.    You must have a problem with DNS.  Further, it
appears that the addresses you are trying to resolve are not in /etc/hosts
(since your netsvc.conf file says to use local /etc/hosts first, then DNS).
Also, I don't think you can run bind on the loopback address only.  Maybe you
are running named, and /etc/resolv.conf has the nameserver set to 127.0.0.1?

I would try to do something about that /etc/hosts file, but that is really
not going to help much.  I think what you should do is what Leslie suggested:
make the machine a secondary name server.  Here is a useful link for you:

http://www.rs6000.ibm.com/doc_link/en_US/a_doc_lib/aixbman/commadmn/tcp_nameres.htm

(If the above appears on two lines it wrapped)