Re: problem with router cisco 2514

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: problem with router cisco 2514
From: "Jeff W" <jeffw411@hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2000 01:21:10 EDT
There may can be many reasons for your high CPU utilization, especially on a
small router like your 2514. I'm assuming you have used the "show process
CPU" to determine that snmp may be the main reason.
It's a known issue that the IP SNMP process can consume a lot of CPU
resources if certain variables are polled. The most common situation is when
a routing table is polled using SNMP. The routing table is stored in a
tree-like structure in the main memory. The information has to be converted
to a different structure in order to be sent through SNMP. If you use SNMP2,
you can exclude certain variables using the "snmp-server view" command to
cut out certain queries. Check out Cisco's online TAC for troubleshooting
high CPU.

Hope this helps,
Jeff Wornstaff
Sr. Network Engineer