Linkup, int up, etc...

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Linkup, int up, etc...
From: "Gord Michaels" <gord_michaels@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 11:00:09 PDT
Hello All.

I have notices that there are two traps, linkup and linkdown, which both
Cisco
routers and swithes send to NetView.

On the router, different interfaces can send this traps and on the switch,
different ports can send this trap.

With regards to the routers, what is the difference between linkup and
interface up ?
What is the difference between linkdown and interface down.

On the switches, what exactly is the meaning of linkdown? Does it just mean
that
a port is enabled but nothing is plugged into it??

Also, do I have this correct: The interface up/down traps are soliticed by
NetView
via polling, but the linkup/down traps are unsolicted. Do I have this
correct?

Or, on the router, will you receive a linkdown for an interface which is
still up
but, has for instance, been unplugged from it's hub/switch ??

Any clarification here is much appreciated.

Sincerely,

Gord Michaels.