Re: Discovering Remote Routers, without Discovering Intermediate Netw or

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Discovering Remote Routers, without Discovering Intermediate Netw orks
From: lclark@us.ibm.com
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2000 09:33:35 -0400

You will still be able to ping your remote routers, right? And you will be
able to
ping the new eth interfaces on your local routers. If the local and remote
routers
have the same subnet address, then Netview will draw them as directly
connected
via a network with that address, as opposed to your current straight-line
serial
network. The supplier's devices may show up on that subnet as well, but if
you don't
have snmp access to them, they will only show up as generic boxes down at
the segment
level.

You may need to use a seedfile to trigger the discovery of the remote
routers.
If the remotes are on different subnets than the locals there may be no
connection
drawn between them.  I have also seen cases where the supplier needed to
add a
static route somewhere so you could reach the remote router, depending on
where the
management station sits in your network. Most suppliers are willing to do
this. The
ability to manage your remote devices is a good enough reason.

Detroit

elig@bezeq.com@tkg.com on 07/10/2000 09:49:03 AM

Sent by:  owner-nv-l@tkg.com