Antw: Re: Node deleted by netmon

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Antw: Re: Node deleted by netmon
From: "Michael Seibold" <Michael.Seibold@Gek.de>
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2000 13:28:50 +0200
>From my experiences I can tell you that the way Leslie described is the right
>thing to do, but I want to give some hints how this is happening:

- your node has several ip-addresses

- I'm quite sure that there were several nodes discovered, one node for each
interface with an ip-address

- "the node" was discovered at a time where the configured snmp-communities did
not allow to poll the MIB-values of the node

- with the lack of the info from the MIB's netview was not able to group this
different ip-adresses into one node, because there was no way to find out that
they belong together

- now you configured the correct snmp-Communities for one interface and did a
demand-poll on it. Netview now got the information that those other
ip-addresses are on this box, however, they were already in the database,
belonging to the other "nodes" discovered previously. At this moment you should
see the "duplicate ip address" - traps, as described by Leslie. This is correct
from netviews point of view, as these other addresses are there in the
database. How should netview know that this is no configuration error out there
in the network? There would be only the possibility to compare the
MAC-addresses of these duplicate ip-addresses. If they are also identical it is
most probable that it is the same interface. But as it is, you must delete all
thos ip-addresses from all maps / databases to get the desired node with all
interface-icons within it.

- why netview deletes this node after discovering the duplicate ip-addresses I
don't know. As long as the ip-address used for the snmp-poll is not duplicate
it should at least leave this node with this address in the databases. It seems
to me that, and that was described in this newslist before, once discovered
without snmp-access, the type of the node within netview (eg. computer, router,
switch, ...) won't change any more and this type of node has not all the fields
required for representing a router, but even than there is no reason to delete
it. You won't be able to add him manually until all traces within the databases
have been eliminated. You should use ovmapdump, ovtopodump and ovobjprint and
grep to all ip-addresses and hostname(s) of these unwanted nodes to be sure
that there is nothing left.

- I had the same phenomena of disappearing nodes two weeks ago, without getting
those "duplicate"-traps. As I couldn't delete some of those interfaces from the
objectDB I had to delete all DB's and start all over, but this occured only
once know within 4 years. All other cases were solved like Leslie described.

Michael Seibold

>>> lclark@us.ibm.com 13.07.2000  18.31 Uhr >>>

I've seen that happen several times, usually when I get impatient and try
to force discovery by manually adding something to the map. The messages
you are seeing don't have anything to do with it, that's all normal. I
think
it often has to do with something either having a duplicate IP address, or
being partially discovered already. The best way I have found to get
one of these stubborn nodes to be discovered is the same as always:
stop netmon, delete all traces of the node from the map (all submaps) (and
all maps, if you  have more than just the default map), ovtopofix  (see the
man page for -a or -A), put one entry in the seedfile for this node, and
restart netmon. Then just wait. It should show up on its own. Do watch the
events display for complaints of duplicate IP addresses, however. I have
some suspicions in that area.

Detroit

"Pretorius, Vynita" <VPretorius@fnb.co.za>@tkg.com on 07/13/2000 11:40:31
AM