Service Pack 6a and ODBC

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Service Pack 6a and ODBC
From: Jim Kellock <jkelloc@ibm.net>
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2000 06:42:46 -0400

This is info, not a problem.

I installed NetView IT Director Edition 5.1.x on NT Workstation (not NV
v6, because an appl to go on top requires v5) on a machine with NT SP6a,
and the ODBC DLLs consistently caused errors- with the updated ODBC
drivers on the NetView CD,  reinstalling, uninstalling the ODBC files,
Service Pack, etc.  Messages came both from NT and NetView.

I used winzip to look at the files inside the mdac_typ.exe on the NV CD
and they matched the dlls on the machine, so figured it was registry
problems or other mismatches on the box.

 I finally went to the microsoft web site and found MDAC 2.1.2.4202.3
(what's on the Netview CD is 2.0), downloaded it, installed it, and it's
all working fine, now.

There's one newer version of the ODBC access drivers, but I figured the
2.1.2 version was closer to the GA of NetView 5, so tried it.  I was
hosed anyway, so figured it couldn't hurt.  The PMR databases were not
helpful- they geneally ended with reinstalling everything, which I did
not have as an option because of other software on the machine.

Anyway, I thought if anyone else was having similar problems, this might
help.