Re: Re: NV-L Digest - 14 Jul 2000

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Re: NV-L Digest - 14 Jul 2000
From: Ray Schafer <schafer@tkg.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2000 20:19:19 +0000
"Thomas.Hadley" wrote:

> I have a very simple question:
>
> How do I configure a trap for my 43p workstations that monitors disk space,
> paging space, and the
> error report?

The preferred  way to do this is with Tivoli Distributed Monitoring/Tivoli
Enterprise Console.
However if you want to do it all with SNMP, you can, but SNMP is much more
limited in what it can do
than is TEC or DM.

Probably the easiest way to do the SNMP monitoring is with the System
Information Agent.   (If you
cannot find the smsia code, I think the same information is available from the
MLM code which should
be on your NetView CD).The error logger on AIX can be configured to fire off a
script when a
specific error or class of error is encountered.  The script can obtain the
information about the
error, and send an SNMP trap to the NetView server.  There is detailed
documentation on how to set
up AIX error notification.  It involves updating the errnotify ODM class.
Really easy.  Here is a
link for that:

http://www.rs6000.ibm.com/doc_link/en_US/a_doc_lib/aixprggd/genprogc/error_notice.htm
(Warning: the above may wrap, make sure it is all on one line).

In your script for the error notification, you'll need the snmptrap command
from the System
Information Agent.

The rest of what you want to do can be accomplished easily by collecting data
from NetView once the
Agent is installed.

--
Ray Schafer                   | schafer@tkg.com
The Kernel Group              | Distributed Systems Management