Re: Re: NV-L Digest - 14 Jul 2000

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Re: NV-L Digest - 14 Jul 2000
From: Ken Garst <Ken.Garst@kp.org>
Date: 17 Jul 2000 14:03:21 -0700
Another method is to install NetView's trapgend on the remote node and then on
the NetView host activate snmpCollections for filesystems and cpu usage.  In
addition, trapgend on the remote node watches the AIX errorlog for any message
whose template has Alert=1 (true).  When such an alertable message appears,
trapgend generates a trap (hence its name) and sends it to the snmpd on the
host who in turn sends the trap to the destination listed in the
/etc/snmpd.conf file.

Generally, I make all PERM messages Alertable in addition to some 55-selected
messages such as KERNEL_PANIC.  Of course these messages need to be defined to
NetView where I assign a severity (color code) and customize the text appearing
in the control desk.