Netview Rules Question

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Netview Rules Question
From: "Gavin Newman" <NEWMANGJ@banksa.com.au>
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2000 15:41:29 +0930
I have anumber of questions re Netview rules (NV 5.1.2) - can anyone help
please??

1) When writing a rule in Netview using the GUI (is there a better way?) what
happens in the following situation...

I have a collection of devices, some of which have isRouter set and others do
not.

In my rule I have a path of execution that depends on isRouter being set and I
want to add a different path of execution for devices in the collection
mentioned above - I do not want these devices to be handled by the isRouter
path..

Obviously some of the devices in this collection will match both paths, in this
case what happens to the event, does it go down the first path found (which is
the first path?) or does it go down both? In this case should I prefix the
isRouter check with a check for !isRouter?

2) Also is there any way of adding some notation to a device in the database
for classification. The case I am thinking of is that we have a number of
devices that are seen as critical backbone devices but they do not exist in any
specific address range nor do they have any identifying component of their name
to work on. At this stage my kludge is to add the value isBloodyImportant in
the CorrStat1 field and have a collection based on this value. At this stage it
works - is this the only way of doing this or is there some magic trick I
haven't cottoned on to yet?

3) Is there any write up on the rules and rules engine that is more in-depth
than the Admin manual anywhere?

Any help on any of the above would be greatly appreciated - Cheers, Gavin

   *****   IMPORTANT INFORMATION    *****
This document should be read only by those persons to whom
it is addressed and its content is not intended for use by
any other persons. If you have received this message in
error, please notify us immediately. Please also destroy and
delete the message from your computer. Any unauthorised form
of reproduction of this message is strictly prohibited.
Bank SA is not liable for the proper and complete transmission
of the information contained in this communication, nor for any