Re: Re: Demand poll hangs

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Re: Demand poll hangs
From: James_Shanks@tivoli.com
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2000 17:00:24 -0400

Well, all that means is that the cause is not really in the code but in the
system resources, somewhere.   That's why I was suggesting the ulimits be
checked.  For example, the default ulimit in AIX for the number of concurrent
processes which any one user can open is 40, and it is possible that you could
exceed that value in some cases, depending on what else you are doing, so then
the  demand poll window wouldn't open, and then when some others finished, it
would.   Do you see what I am driving at here?  The problem could be process
limits, or available memory, or data stack, and so on.  In Version 6.0 and 6.0.1
we have tried to reset the ulimits when the GUI is restarted to make this less
likely but hat will only be as effective as the system administrator has
allowed. If you aren't root, and you have a limit set for you by the root
administrator, then you cannot exceed that.

Every case of this sort of thing -- windows not opening, things not starting
from the GUI -- which we have investigated to date has been a resource issue of
this sort and that's why  I gave the advice I did.

James Shanks
Team Leader, Level 3 Support
 Tivoli NetView for UNIX and NT

Torsten Syring <syring_nv@yahoo.de> on 08/23/2000 03:53:11 PM