Re: Mibs

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Mibs
From: James_Shanks@tivoli.com
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2000 09:08:21 -0400

The only real problem here is that you must look at the IMPORTS section of the
MIB, which is right at the beginning and determine if it is SNMP V1 or V2.  If
it is V2, you will see references to that in the IMPORTS section.  Then you must
use the V1/V2 loader (xnmloadmib2 in UNIX or loadmib2 in NT) rather than the
simple V1 loader xnmloadmib in UNIX or loadmib on NT).   But once that
determination is made, you can usually let the loaders themselves tell you if
there is a problem.

The easiest way is just to start by loading the actual MIBs you want.  If you
require some other ones, the loader(s) will give you a message indicating that
they cannot make sense of some part of the one you are loading, that something
is undefined.  Then you can just look at the IMPORTS section of MIB you are
trying to load and find out what others are needed.  Look for other MIBs by the
same vendor, and try loading those first. If those aren't enough, then you can
work backwards through the old SNMP RFC standards.   You can do this in logical
order if you want to, by looking at all the IMPORTS first, but that is a lot
more work than having the loader tell you if he has a problem.

James Shanks
Team Leader, Level 3 Support
 Tivoli NetView for UNIX and NT

Jack_Case@BCBST.com on 08/29/2000 08:48:27 AM