cc:Mail Link to SMTP Undeliverable Message: Unknown user: CHANCELLOR D E

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: cc:Mail Link to SMTP Undeliverable Message: Unknown user: CHANCELLOR D ELLIS
From: Administrator@customs.treas.gov
Date: Wed, 06 Sep 2000 11:28:25 -0400
Has anyone gotten an MLM to work successfully on Solaris 2.7?

I have been doing some experimentation in my lab, and had no problems with
using MLM on either NT or Windows 2000.   It was absolutely painless.   SNMP
queries and smconfig show the tables populated exactly as I expected.

On Solaris I can't seem the midmand subagent to communicate properly.  The
symptoms I've noticed are:

- I'm unable to query any of the MLM MIB objects in either RO or RW mode,
under any circumstances.  I have no problems seeing the MIB-2 or Sun
extensions.

- I've only been able to use smconfig against a Solaris MLM, when the dmi
subagent is stopped, and ony after I've made updates to both
/etc/snmp/conf/snmpd.conf and midmand.acl
Otherwise, smconfig complains about not be able to connect to a NetView
agent.  (This also brings up the realization that smconfig uses something
other than SNMP to communicate to the agent, perhaps port 1668).

- When snmpwalk 127.0.0.1 public .1.3.6.1.4.1.42.2.15.8.1.10
returns the correct result, I still seem to be having problems.

I'm fairly convinced that the problem lies somewhere in the *.conf, *.acl,
and *.reg files all located in /etc/snmp/conf, and the midmand is not
properly connected the snmpdx daemon.
I just can't seem to find the right combination.

Anyone seen this, or know what the problem is?   Actually, if someone could
post a configuration that does not use the default community names, I would
grateful.

Regards,
Chris