IfSpeed/hasSerial fields and unnumbered interfaces

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: IfSpeed/hasSerial fields and unnumbered interfaces
From: niko_kaniadakis@it.ibm.com
Date: Thu, 7 Sep 2000 14:11:02 +0200

Hello Walt,
first of all I am happy that you tested successfully the " unnumbered
interfaces...", so it works!

The  points 1, 2 and 4 in your note  are satisfied in our test. We cannot
discover and manage the router on the other  side because is managed by
another team, so we don't know the IP  adress and the comunity name,...The
two router are connected by a serial line.

The steps you suggested me are also reported in the NetView Release Notes
and Diagnosis Guide. BUT you indicated, correctly, that " All components of
the connection must be managed" it seems this is prequisite for managing
unnumbered interfaces. This is a limit because you don't help the customer
to discover and manage the unnumbered interfaces of the devices that he
owns.My customer don't accept this!.
I  append  the files that contain  the results of:MIB query of the
interface table, cdpcache, demandpoll and  ovobjprint cmds. You can see
that NetView discover very little. Last but not least the field haSerial of
course is not set also the field IfSpeed.

(See attached file: Cdpcache)(See attached file: Demandpo)(See attached
file: interfaces.txt)(See attached file: Obj256)

PS. Leslie the CDP is enabled in the router.

Thanks a lot.
Best Regards,

Niko Kaniadakis

IBM Global Services