RE: Netview to TEC Help

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: RE: Netview to TEC Help
From: "Rob Rinear" <robr@dirigo.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2000 12:19:11 -0400
What James said is exactly right, but let me try to expand on it to help...

The process goes basically like this:  an snmp trap comes from Netfinity
manager to your Netview box.  The tecad_nv6k process watches the trap
stream, checks if a new trap is one that should be forwarded, and, if so,
formulates a TEC event to be sent to the TEC server.  On the TEC server,
when this event arrives, it needs to "understand" the information being
passed to it.  For Node Up/Node Down and other standard Netview events, all
these pieces are in place for you; for others (like Netfinity), you need to
define some things.

First, start at the TEC server.  In order for TEC to understand any new
messages, these new Event Classes need to be defined, which is done with a
BAROC file.  In the case of Netfinity, you're in luck...Tivoli offers a free
Plus Module for Netfinity Manager, which can be downloaded from their web
site I believe, and the BAROC files included in that will suffice (an Event
Class called NETF_trap can be generically used).  So find and install that.

Next, Netview needs to know to forward NETF_trap class events, which is done
through the filters in the tecad_nv6k.conf (if you have Filter=IN, then
simply add a line Filter:Class=NETF_Trap to allow those to pass).

Then Netview needs to know what snmp events are NETF_trap's and how to
formulate the TEC message, which are done through a combination of
tecad_nv6k.oid and tecad_nv6k.cds.  Every piece of information passed in an
snmp trap has an OID associated, and these need to be defined in the .oid
file.  Below is the chunk of code I've used in the past, which assigns a
name to each piece of a Netfinity trap...
#
# Netfinity Manager
#
"NETFMsg"                "1.3.6.1.4.1.2.6.71.1.0"
"NETFSystem"             "1.3.6.1.4.1.2.6.71.2.0"
"NETFTime"               "1.3.6.1.4.1.2.6.71.3.0"
"NETFDate"               "1.3.6.1.4.1.2.6.71.4.0"
"NETF5"                  "1.3.6.1.4.1.2.6.71.5.0"
"NETF6"                  "1.3.6.1.4.1.2.6.71.6.0"
"NETF7"                  "1.3.6.1.4.1.2.6.71.7.0"
"NETF8"                  "1.3.6.1.4.1.2.6.71.8.0"
"NETF9"                  "1.3.6.1.4.1.2.6.71.9.0"

Then, in the .cds file, you define a NETF_trap and how to forward it on...
CLASS NETF_trap
  SELECT
    1: ATTR(=,$ENTERPRISE) , VALUE(PREFIX, "1.3.6.1.4.1.2.6.71");
    2: ATTR(=,"NETFMsg");
    3: ATTR(=,"NETFSystem");
  MAP
    msg = $V2;
    hostname = $V3;
    SystemName = $V3;
    severity = CRITICAL;
END
This code basically tells Netview: if a trap comes in with Enterprise#
1.3.6.1.4.1.2.6.71 (Netfinity), and you also received the fields NETFMsg and
NETFSystem, then it is a NETF_trap, and it should build a TEC message with
msg = NETFMsg, hostname & SystemName = NETFSystem and severity of CRITICAL.

Put all this together and you will have a very generic pipe to funnel
Netfinity alerts to TEC.  If you filter well enough at the Netfinity
Manager, this generic setup should be sufficient.  If not, you need to read
some TEC books to get deeper.