Re: Authentication Problem

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Authentication Problem
From: James_Shanks@tivoli.com
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2000 15:32:01 -0400
The numbers in front of the message are a timestamp, which is decoded for
you in the date and time  which follows.  The message means that someone
has tried to do an SNMP get or set of this host, luminere.pts.umn.edu, but
used the wrong community name.  So the SNMP agent on that box issued this
trap and he was configured to send it to NetView.    The best way to find
out what is going on is to go to that host, luminere.pts.umn.edu, and look
in his snmpd logs.  Whoever configured that box should know how to do that
and to turn on the trace to find out what agent sent in the request.  If it
is an AIX box then you would go to /etc/snmpd.conf and set  logging to
enabled and level=3.  Then restart the snmpd daemon -- first "stopsrc -s
snmpd" and then "startsrc -s snmpd" -- to pick up the new trace level.
When this trap occurs again, you should be able to look in the log
specified in the logging entry (you can change the location if you like)
and tell who did it.   While you are in this file, /etc/snmpd.conf, you
might check that "public" is a valid read community string.  If t is not,
then you should run xnmsnmpconf in NetView and make an entry for this box
so that NetView uses the correct community string.

James Shanks
Team Leader, Level 3 Support
 Tivoli NetView for UNIX and NT

"Thomas Kunz" <t-kunz@admin.ndis.umn.edu> on 09/27/2000 01:51:44 PM