Re: Authentication Problem

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Authentication Problem
From: James_Shanks@tivoli.com
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2000 19:18:07 -0400
The problem is the standard "authentication trap" defined by SNMP, which is
perfectly valid to send in response to a bad community string, is defined
as generic type 4, specific 0, and has no variables.  So most vendors do
not send their own trap but that one instead.  Cisco has started sending
its own unique version of this trap, which includes variables, one of which
is the offending party's address.  So all the vendors who don't are
following the standard, and Cisco, trying to be useful, "violates" it.

James Shanks
Team Leader, Level 3 Support
 Tivoli NetView for UNIX and NT

"Les Dickert" <lesdickert@hotmail.com> on 09/27/2000 05:29:52 PM