Re: Running rexec from a rule driven shell script

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Running rexec from a rule driven shell script
From: "Gavin Newman" <NEWMANGJ@banksa.com.au>
Date: Wed, 04 Oct 2000 09:34:02 +0930
James

Thanks for your prompt (as usual) assistance.
It appears that the actionsvr daemon does run as root (whoami returns "root").
I put the .netrc file in the pwd returned for actionsvr rather than root's home
directory and the rexec worked.
The directory required was /usr/OV/PD/cores/actionsvr

The reason I am doing this is convoluted but I want to email users when certain
problems occur and I want to use the trap description lines between the SDESC &
EDESC areas in trapd.conf in the email as they have been tailored for our site.
I was led to believe from previous posts that this customised information is
not supplied in the trap data so I have a cron job that ftp's the trapd.conf
file from my netview box to the solaris box each night. Once on the solaris box
I have a program that extracts the trap descriptions stuff and indexes it by
the enterprise ID and trap numbers so I can do a real quick recovery of the
trap description for any trap I get.

The rexec in the rule driven script will then run another program on the
solaris box that formats the emails and include this description stuff so the
recipient has the full story.

Cheers & thanks for your help - Gavin

>>> <James_Shanks@tivoli.com> 04/10/2000 02:39:27 >>>
Well, you have me.  Don't think I have ever seen this done before.  But
technically speaking, NetView does not use root, though its processes have
root authority, we get tht by default.  Try putting your rexec in a script
and before it executes have it issue "whoami" and "pwd" and "path" and
echo that output to a file.

James Shanks
Team Leader, Level 3 Support
 Tivoli NetView for UNIX and NT