Running rexec from a rule driven shell script

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Running rexec from a rule driven shell script
From: "Gavin Newman" <NEWMANGJ@stgeorge.com.au>
Date: Tue, 03 Oct 2000 19:26:22 +1100
I am presently running a shell script based on certain events within my netview
rules.
The script currently sends an email to users and the email appears to come from
the root
user on the netview box (netview is running on AIX).
I wanted to change the script so it rexec'ed a program on a Solaris box that I
have so, given that
the netview rules seemed to use the root userid I created a .netrc in root's
home directory
that contained a machine / login / password entry for the solaris box so the
rexec would auto-login
to the solaris box with no user prompts.
When I run the script from a root shell on the netview box everything is OK but
when I run
it from the netview rule it fails. I redirected the STDOUT from the rexec
command to a file
and it "appears" to contain the start of a user prompt.
Does netview really use the root user or am I being fooled by the email step
described above?

Cheers - Gavin

   *****   IMPORTANT INFORMATION    *****
This document should be read only by those persons to whom
it is addressed and its content is not intended for use by
any other persons. If you have received this message in
error, please notify us immediately. Please also destroy and
delete the message from your computer. Any unauthorised form
of reproduction of this message is strictly prohibited.
St.George is not liable for the proper and complete transmission
of the information contained in this communication, nor for any